Care Advantage, Inc., All About Care & Nurse Advantage are deeply involved with the establishment and administration of Connecting Hearts – A Deborah J Johnston Charity. Sharing Debbie Johnston as a founder, Care Advantage, its subsidiaries, and Connecting Hearts are sister organizations. Central to each is the strong value of caring and commitment to the well-being of others. While Care Advantage, All About Care & Nurse Advantage focus on patients, Connecting Hearts aims to support and serve children with a different type of need – the need for a family, foster or adoptive.
Connecting Hearts Mission
Connecting Hearts ensures that every child in Virginia has the opportunity for a loving home through addressing support needs across the state, partnering with other organizations, spreading awareness, and advocating. Virginia is home to over 5,000 children in foster care and over 850 children are waiting to be adopted.
- To increase education, awareness and advocacy for adoption and foster care.
- To educate the public as to the positive values of adoption and foster care.
- To provide educational programs that will strengthen area adoption and foster care nonprofits.
- To find affordable ways for adoptions to happen and lessen the financial burden to families.
- To facilitate connections between organizations and VDSS.
- To execute an annual conference to include all related agencies and VA Adoption Champion.
- To offer continuous communication; including e-mails, monthly newsletter etc.
- To create community events with awareness and fundraising components.
- To focus on general and strategic recruitment of families especially around faith based members.
Debbie Johnston’s Commitment to Connecting Hearts
“My goal is to find a permanent and loving home for every child in Virginia”
– Debbie Johnston, Virginia’s Adoption Champion, CEO, Care Advantage
In August of 2014, Governor Terry McAuliffe appointed Debbie as Virginia’s Adoption Champion. An adoptee herself, Debbie is passionate about helping children find homes and works to support the Commonwealth’s permanency efforts state wide. Debbie serves as spokesperson for adoption in Virginia and is working to engage and educate the public in support of Virginia’s adoption program goals and objectives. Debbie credits all of her success both professionally and philanthropically to her loving Virginia family of eight who adopted her, believed in her, and gave her that basic human right: a family.
Debbie believes that our state does a tremendous job of telling us when a dog or cat needs a home, but fears that same awareness does not exist for our foster children. She wants them to know that not only is their struggle heard, but that their unique stories are of value. She is working diligently to give them a brighter tomorrow. She is using her personal experience to reach out to the media and organizations across the state to help her find permanent, loving homes.
Debbie created Connecting Hearts out of a recognized need to work together to spread awareness for adoption & foster care issues and to inspire potential adoptive & foster parents to step forward. Connecting Hearts creates a linked and cooperative community across Virginia of individuals and organizations invested in finding permanent, loving families for the children of our state. Through fundraising, Connecting Hearts will also be able to provide scholarships and access to camps for kids in foster care.
Through Debbie’s vision Connecting Hearts truly does “connect hearts”.
10041 Midlothian Turnpike
Richmond, VA 23235
Contact: Ericca Facetti, Executive Director